Microsoft Corporation Support Engineer in Fargo, North Dakota
Azure is one of the most exciting businesses to be part of at Microsoft today. Not only is Azure one of the fastest growing services at Microsoft, it is also highly strategic and a key pillar in Microsoft’s overall Devices and Services strategy. We are growing our team in Customer Service and Support due to Azure growth.
No two days are the same in Customer Service and Support at Microsoft. We engage in solving challenging and complex problems, we collaborate and share learnings with each other and innovate on solutions to enable our customers make the most of Microsoft products. Our team is geographically distributed, we speak many languages and we come from a variety of cultural backgrounds. We are rapidly expanding, and we are looking for talented people with a growth mindset, a passion for solving complex issues and obsession to customer happiness.
Besides technical talent, we also look for engineers with a run for the fire behavior - people who thrive under difficult and challenging circumstances, who loves to get involved in difficult situations and at the same time learn.
Our culture is built around attributes that drive our every decision, and our every action.
Customer Obsession - we exist for and because of the customer. We need people who share that passion and drive to make our customers experiences easy, insightful and trusted.
Continuous learning Mindset - we value all perspectives and reward individuals that poke at the edges of what they know to be true. We are seeking people that think differently and are biased toward action to accomplish great things.
Diverse & Inclusive - we enable people who bring a contemporary view to shape our internal teams and encourage new hires to feel included.
One Microsoft - we need to collaborate and learn to value the work of others, be willing to take their learnings and add them to our own to make a better outcome for our customers.
Making a difference - drive impact by looking for ways to continually improve your day to day responsibilities and the connections between your work and others.
You will be accountable for providing an outstanding technical support experience to our business customers. From problem identification to full resolution, you will own and manage your cases over the phone and Web. When needed, you will transfer your cases to your colleagues or involve subject matter experts or escalate to Engineering (Product Groups) or Management. Your day to day job will be about providing both technical expertise (either on your own or by involving your colleagues) and about being an excellent communicator and a service oriented professional. You will be given the opportunity to become a subject matter expert in one of more areas and receive guidance and mentorship from your colleagues.
Be available to take ownership of new cases and escalations via telephone and Web and provide support to enterprise customers and partners.
Scope a customer’s issue by collecting the relevant facts; investigate the problem by doing your own research and by involving other teams as needed.
Consult and collaborate with your immediate peers or colleagues around the world. Escalate to management as necessary, acting internally as a customer advocate and keeping the customers informed. Collaborate with management and engineering to resolve service issues.
Ensure that each support request owned by you is handled as per our Service Level Agreement (SLA) and to the highest possible customer satisfaction by setting the right expectations and fulfilling your commitments.
Document your technical work and research in detailed and comprehensive manner.
Prioritize your work to accomplish the most important and urgent requests first. - Maintain a proactive approach to customer happiness, identifying and correcting customer satisfaction concerns before they become problems.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• At least 2 years of experience in product/technical/customer support or IT Admin/support OR consulting or Systems Development, or Network Operations.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
• Degree in Computer Science, or equivalent in work experience
• Bilingual (Preferred not required: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Traditional Chinese, Korean, Japanese)
Knowledge and Skills:
• You approach things with a growth mindset - genuine desire and motivation to learn and develop yourself.
• You embrace challenges and persist in face of setbacks. You consider failure an opportunity to learn, so whatever happens you win: you love customers and are obsessed with them - a genuine desire to help under challenging circumstances and work with a sense of urgency.
• Effective communication skills, ability to work on a team environment, problem-solving skills and capacity to deal with ambiguity.
• You are able to handle multiple customer issues and effectively balance by priority need.
• Excellent self-assessment to identify when other resources are needed; ability engage and collaborate effectively with others to resolve complex problems.
• Handle high pressure situations well - maintain calm and composure on stressful situations is a must.
Technical Requirements: Technical experience and knowledge working in Azure technical support or equivalent technology. We love to get to know candidates with strong technical background, nevertheless, do not shy away if you do not meet all the technical requirements. If you have growth mindset, you are a strong believer that knowledge can be developed with effort and persistence.
Technical skills in at least one area:
• Windows System Administration/Virtualization
• Windows scripting or PowerShell
• Familiarity with Active Directory, Security, OS Internals concepts
• Understanding of Virtualization concepts and virtual system administration
• Familiarity with system management tools such as SCOM
• Experience with Hyper-V configuration and administration
• Familiarity with networking concepts including VIPs, NAT, DNS
• Familiarity with networking tools (ping, tracert, tracemon, wire shark, etc.)
• Familiarity with routing and routing protocols such as BGP or OSPF.
• Understanding of load balancing, geo-redundancy, CDN and VPN technologies preferred
• Understanding of the OSI model and related concepts
• Linux OSS (Preferred but not required)
• Familiarity with one, or more, shell environments (BASH, sh, tcsh, ksh, etc.)
• Experience with Linux script-based development environments and tools (PERL, Python, Ruby, PhP, etc.)
• Experience administering Linux (boot process, file systems, network device and protocol configuration)
• LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PhP or Python)
• Chef/Puppet, Docker/Container
• Familiarity with core OS services such as: SSH, telnet, FTP, NFS, DNS, DHCP, Samba, LDAP
• Familiarity with IIS and HTTP protocol
• Understanding of concepts like AP, Json templates
• Understanding of Storage technologies (cloud and/or on premises)
• Understanding of RDP protocol
Your shift can vary according to business needs. Examples: Monday to Friday, any working hours from 8 am to 8pm Central Time, or weekend coverage depending upon business needs. Please note that shifts might change according to business needs. Though schedule changes are not frequent, you will need to have flexibility to accommodate changes as needed.
*This position may require you to work a rotational On-Call schedule, evenings and weekends shifts.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.